Navigation Bar Skip Navigation City Council Contact Us Search City Government
Previous Page |

City Council Meetings

The Longmont City Council meetings are held in the Council Chambers located in the Civic Center at 350 Kimbark Street, Longmont, CO 80501.

The City of Longmont is governed by a seven member Council. The Mayor is elected to serve a two-year term and each Council member is elected to serve a four-year term. The Mayor and three of the Council members are elected at-large. The other three Council members are elected from each of the three City wards. The Mayor and Council members are the leaders and policy makers in the community elected to represent various segments of the community and to concentrate on policy issues that are responsive to residents' needs and wishes.

The City Council meets on the second and fourth Tuesdays of every month in a regular session at 7:00 p.m. in the Civic Center Complex at 350 Kimbark. On the first and third Tuesday of every month, the City Council holds a study session at 7:00 p.m. in the same location. Study sessions, which generally cover only one or two topics, are designed to allow the Council to talk on a more in-depth level about issues than can be done at regular sessions. No formal action may be taken by the Council at a study session other than to direct staff to proceed in a certain manner and to bring items back to a regular session for action.

You are welcome to speak to Council on any issue, including items not on the agenda, if you sign up in advance. A sign up sheet appears just outside the doors of the Council Chambers by 6:45 p.m., and is picked up by the City Clerk just prior to the meeting being called to order at 7:00 p.m. Every speaker needs to indicate the issue or agenda item number(s) they wish to address on the sign up sheet. The Mayor will call the names listed for those wishing to speak at "First Call - Public Invited to Be Heard" part of the meeting. Only those on the list will be invited to speak at the first “Public Invited to Be Heard.” The Mayor will call for any who want to speak on public hearing matters as Council takes up those items. Speakers who do not place their names on the list will have the opportunity to speak during public hearing items or at the “Final Call – Public Invited To Be Heard” (any item) at the end of the meeting. Public comment is limited to three minutes per speaker.

If you need special assistance in order to participate in a City Council meeting, please contact Valeria Skitt, City Clerk, at 303-651-8649, in advance of the meeting to make arrangements.

Council Action:
Four members of Council constitute a quorum and may conduct City business. Council conducts business in one of the following manners:

An ordinance is the mechanism used to implement new local laws and requires two readings before it is enacted. At the first reading, the ordinance is introduced and, if Council desires, questions for information may be addressed to the staff. Council then votes whether or not to order the ordinance published in full, along with a notice of the public hearing, which is held at second reading of the ordinance.

On second reading, the Council may again address questions to the staff and may vote to amend the ordinance. A public hearing is then held and Council votes whether or not to adopt the ordinance. Ordinances require an affirmative vote of the majority of the Council for passage. All ordinances adopted on final reading take effect ten days after final publication, except for those containing an "emergency" clause.

A resolution is the mechanism used to express policy of the Council or direct certain types of administrative action. A resolution is adopted by a vote of the majority of those Council members seated. No public hearing is required for passage of a resolution.

A motion is ordinarily used to indicate Council approval of contracts, agreements, and procedural action and may also be used to authorize administrative officials to take certain actions.

When Council is not prepared to take definite action or when further study is needed, the matter may be referred to a City administrative officer or board for research, study and subsequent action by such officer or the City Council.

Brochures and Additional Information: