Garden Acres, Neighborhood Groups
Garden Acres North apartments were constructed in the late 1980’s and early 1990’s as were any number of the apartment buildings on North Terry Street. The single-family homes and duplexes built to the West on Yeager Drive were also built before and during the “boom”
Our condominiums became such in 1999, when all the units at 1865 and 1885 were converted. We are a mix of owner-occupied and rented units. Many of us are first-time homeowners.
Hearing the sharp bark of the prairie dog is a distinctive reminder of one of the inhabitants on the land that is now known as Longmont. As a brief history of the Garden Acres North condominium neighborhood is being compiled, it seems only fitting that this most tenacious of residents is in the empty lot directly east of our complex. Native prairie grasslands no longer exist within the city limits of Longmont, but the prairie dog has adapted to whatever is available as did the early settlers.
In the 1940 issue of the Rocky Mountain Map Co. Atlas, this parcel of land was stated as being partially owned by an entrepreneurial Longmont family, the Dworaks. Eventually the land was sold, then possibly planted with sugar beets and/or wheat, two crops that the new owners, the Yeagers, were familiar with as a result of their family’s agrarian past in Russia. Over the years, the Yeagers acquired many acres of farmland, developing a reputation for being successful farmers and businessmen. In the 1950’s the population of Longmont was over 8,000 and the main economy was still agriculture. During the late 1950’s the Yeager family zoned a large portion of their North Main Street holdings into Yeager Garden Acres, Inc., both business and residential lots were available. By 1965 the Garden Acres Center was filled with 13 businesses from hardware to groceries.
In 1960, the Federal Aviation Administration was given 12+ acres at Hover and 17th to build a new Denver Air Route Traffic Control Center. This acquisition was a catalyst for rapid growth and expansion of the city’s boundaries. In 1964, IBM was well on the way in constructing a large plant at Hwy.52 and Hwy.119. The influx of IBM employees and their families made a monumental change in staid, rural Longmont.
February 20, 2008