Citizen Fire Academy
Have you ever wondered how heavy that firefighting gear really is? Try it on and see for yourself! Do you want to know why firefighters travel to the grocery store in the fire engine? Learn about a day in the life of Longmont firefighters, or 48 hours to be precise.
Longmont Fire Department's Citizen Fire Academy will answer questions you didn't know you had. It will also offer experiences you won't soon forget. There is no charge to attend this academy.
NEXT ACADEMY WILL BE HELD MAY 2013. SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION TODAY!
Application deadline is Friday, April 12, 2013.
The academy will meet on the following dates/times: Saturday, April 27 & Saturday, May 11 from 8am until 2pm. Participants must be able to attend both days.
The academy will include hands-on classroom experience with:
- fire hoses
- SCBA (self-contained breathing apparatus
- fire department physical agility test
- fire prevention/education
- tour of the Longmont Emergency Communications Center (LECC)
- tour of fire vehicles and ambulance
Topics covered includes:
- history and organization of the fire department
- emergency medical services
- fire behavior
- hose, ladders, tools and protective equipment
- fire prevention and investigation
- emergency communications dispatch
- self-contained breathing apparatus
- search and rescue techniques
- special team deployment
- incident command structure
- preparation for large scale emergency management
Participants must be at least 18 years of age and reside within the Longmont city limits. Students must complete an application and a waiver, then mail both to the Longmont Fire Department, Citizen's Fire Academy, 225 Kimbark Street, Longmont, CO 80501. You may also drop off the application at 225 Kimbark, Longmont second floor "Fire Department". Class size is limited to 25 students. There is no charge to participate.
Applicants will be notified of acceptance into the Citizen's Fire Academy after a criminal history and a driver history is completed.
If you have questions regarding the Citizen Fire Academy you may email for additional information or call (303) 774-4440.