Fire - Volunteering
The Longmont Fire Department is actively seeking volunteers.
The majority of the work required in the fire service is ensuring that the department is ready to respond when residents need us. Your skills and talents will be used to help us behind the scenes as these are vital functions that support the Longmont Fire Department in its day-to-day operations.
Our volunteer staff is utilized in a wide variety of assignments. All volunteers are trained and supervised by a fire department staff member. Volunteers, who must be at least 18 years old, are assigned to specific areas and divisions within the department. All positions are unpaid volunteer assignments.
The volunteer application can be returned to: Longmont Department of Public Safety, Public Safety Outreach Manager, 225 Kimbark Street, Longmont, CO 80501 (2nd Floor - Administration).
THE LONGMONT FIRE DEPARTMENT DOES NOT HAVE VOLUNTEER FIREFIGHTER POSITIONS. LONGMONT FIREFIGHTERS ARE EMPLOYED BY THE CITY OF LONGMONT.
BUSINESS SELF-INSPECTION - The Longmont Fire Department is seeking 2-3 volunteers to assist with the newly launched Business Self-Inspection Program. Volunteers are asked to contribute 2-4 hours a week, time negotiable. Training is provided. Candidates must be detail oriented, have great interpersonal skills, and possess a valid Colorado’s driver’s license and good driving record. Computer skills are not necessary. Volunteer applications may be obtained at www.ci.longmont.co.us/fire “Volunteering” or you can call 303.774.4534 for additional information.
- CIVIC UTILITY TEAM - We are looking for a team of volunteers who can take responsibility for raising and lowering the flags at approximately 14 Longmont city parks and buildings when we receive an order by the president, governor or mayor. Generally we receive less than 24 hrs notice that the flags are to be lowered the next day at sunrise and returned to full-staff that same evening at sunset. On occasion the flags remain at half-staff for several days. Initial training will be provided. We are looking for volunteers who are proud of their country and flag, are reliable and can work independently. Volunteers will cover 1/3 of the route.
- "BE READY LONGMONT" DISASTER RESPONSE SPECIALIST. Reports to the Office of Emergency Management. Specialist prepares and delivers BeReady Longmont presentations, a disaster preparedness program, to residents and local businesses. Volunteer must possess good public speaking skills, and ability to interact with the public. Training is provided for program content. Specialist interacts with the community in many public settings including (club/group meetings, booth at special event, community group meetings, etc.) Volunteer must be able to provide constructive feedback to city/staff regarding resident needs related to the BeReady Longmont program. Requires willingness to give 6-8 hours a month to community outreach effort and team meetings.
- NEIGHBORHOOD/BUSINESS SAFETY & PREPAREDNESS SPECIALIST. Reports to Safety Education Coordinator and Administrative Analyst. Provide educational support for the fire department in the areas of fire safety education, neighborhood preparedness in emergencies and natural disasters. A main focus of this position would be to address the populations that are most at-risk (elderly, special needs, Spanish Speaking only, etc.). These volunteers would encourage neighborhood residents to communicate to raise awareness to safety and self-preparedness.
- ASSISTANT TO CAR SEAT PROGRAM. Reports to Lt. in charge of Car Seat Program. Car seat inspection, 2nd Wednesday of each month from 2-7. Bilingual preferred.
- OFFICE ASSISTANT. Reports to Support Services. Assist Administrative Analyst, Training Battalion Chief, Emergency Medical Services Battalion Chief, and in Fire Support Services (filing, data entry, general letters, and creating spreadsheets).
- SMOKE ALARM TECHNICIAN - Basic smoke alarm installation as part of a door-to-door campaign. Spanish speaking capability preferred, but not required. Looking for outstanding customer service skills. All training will be provided.
For additional information regarding volunteer positions with the Longmont Department of Public Safety,
please contact our Public Safety Outreach Manager by email or by phone at 303 - 774 - 4440.