For Immediate Release December 6, 2013
Rigo Leal, Public Information Officer, 303-651-8840
View the most recent Press Releases.
Xcel Energy Repairing Natural Gas Outage
December 6, 2013 - Approximately 6,000 households in the Niwot/Gunbarrel area (including some homes in City of Boulder limits) may have lost natural gas delivery to their homes today, Dec. 6. Xcel Energy is taking the lead in communicating directly to its customers and it has released the boundaries of the affected areas:
• Niwot on the north
• 95th on east
• Jay road on the south
• 47th Street on the west
For the latest information visit www.xcelenergy.com/Outages/Report_a_Problem or call Xcel at
The Longmont Times-Call has a story online at http://www.timescall.com/longmont-local-news/ci_24668991/natural-gas-outage-niwot-gunbarrel-southwest-longmont
Boulder County Public Health is recommending that people who rely on natural gas to heat their homes - and who are currently without gas service - consider using a space heater to keep critical water pipes warm. Please do so safely! Here are some tips:
• Never place a space heater on top of furniture or near water.
• Use electric space heaters with automatic shut-off switches and non-glowing elements.
• Keep heat sources at least 3 feet away from furniture and drapes.
• Never leave children unattended near a space heater.
• Have the following safety equipment available:
- Chemical fire extinguisher
- Smoke alarm in working order (Check once a month and change batteries once a year.)
- Carbon monoxide detector
• Never use an electric generator indoors, inside the garage, or near the air intake of your home because of the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning: Do not use the generator or appliances if they are wet.
• Do not store gasoline indoors where the fumes could ignite.