A.M. Preston House (Ne. Jones Townley)
314 Bross Street
Landmark Designation: 1985
Construction Date: 1905
Architectural Style: Vernacular
The house was originally owned by Alexander M. Preston, who operated as Preston's
Jones Townley was the son of John Lawrence Townley, the first elected treasurer
of the Chicago-Colorado Colony which founded Longmont in 1871.
Jones Townley was active in the affairs of the community and in 1908 he ran
for and was elected to the Boulder County Board of County Commissioners. In
order to better perform his duties, he moved his family into the city and
purchased the house from Mr. Preston. Mr. Townley was a county commissioner
from 1908 through 1916. This was a period when the automobile was coming into
increasing use in Boulder County and Mr. Townley, as commissioner, was active
in the planning and development of roadway improvements throughout the county.
He reportedly provided roadway gravel at no charge from a pit on his farmland
north of the community.
After Jones Townley completed his tenure as county commissioner, he continued
to live in the house until his death in 1936.