525 Collyer Street
Landmark Designation: 1994
Construction Date: 1881
Architectural Style: Queen
The Mumfords were well known by Longmont citizens for their development of
real estate. The Mumford's bought and sold many lots and homes. Many of these
"kit" homes were selected, shipped from Chicago and built by local
builders. Upon completion of the home it was sold to Miss Mary Evalyn Cole.
The Cole's had moved to Berthoud in 1877. Samuel R. and Lurancy Green Cole,
with their 2 children, Samuel W. and Mary Evalyn, moved from Illinois to be
closer to their oldest daughter, Mrs. Jarvis
M. Fox (Lida L. Cole-Fox), of Longmont. Miss Evalyn was a Millinar, Hat
Maker, and moved into Longmont with her sister's family on 920
3rd Avenue. In 1883 she purchased the house on Collyer with help from
her sister Lida. In 1884, Samuel R. and wife, Lurancy, moved to 525 Collyer
after they retired from farming in Berthoud. There son, Samuel W. Cole, remained
on the farm. In 1889 Evalyn married a respected Denver Attorney, Oscar E.
Jackson and moved to Denver. Upon leaving Longmont, Evalyn, rented to her
parents the house for $1.00 per year, until their death.
If you would like to learn more about this property, please see our architectural
survey that was completed on the property in 2002.