601 Collyer Street
Landmark Designation: 1981
Construction Date: ca. 1896
Architectural Style: Queen
This house is associated with two pioneers who contributed to the early days
of Longmont, Levi V. Nichols and John Zimbeck.
Levi V. Nichols, a Civil War veteran, came to Longmont in 1870, making the
trip over the plains by wagon. He homesteaded east of Longmont and was a very
successful farmer. When the Civil War broke out, Nichols, a lad of 17, enrolled
in the Southern Army, serving under General Marmaduke. He served through the
entire war, achieved the rank of Captain, and for the rest of his life in
Longmont he was known as "Cap" Nichols.
John Zimbeck, also a retired farmer, came to Longmont from Erie with John
Kiteley in a stage coach. Mr. Zimbeck was active in the community affairs
and was known as an important person in the development of Longmont. He was
an active member in Longmont's International Order of Odd Fellows Lodge and
probably was an inspiration for its erection of a new building located at
434 Main Street in 1907.
If you would like to learn more about this property, please see our architectural
survey that was completed on the property in 2002.