Back to Last Page Visited
Navigation Bar Skip Navigation City Council Contact Us Search City Government
Department Contact
Back to our Homepage

Designated Landmarks

H.W. Preston House
319 Bross Street

Landmark Designation: 1988

Construction Date: 1880

Architectural Style: Italianate

The house was built by Harry W. Preston in 1880. Mr. Preston was a well-known businessman, and owned and operated a grocery store. He was married to Rosa Terry, daughter of Seth Terry, president of the Chicago-Colorado Colony and school board president. Mr. and Mrs. Seth Terry lived for a time in the Preston home and were living there at the time of Mrs. Terry's death in 1898. Mr. Preston was the last surviving founding member of the St. Vrain Lodge No. 23.

The home passed into the ownership of a Mrs. Lambert, who operated a boarding house with big Sunday meals. These were popular events, with people coming form all around to attend. Over the years, ownership of the house change and the upstairs was turned into an apartment and eventually the structure was used as a two-family residence. In 1986 the home was restored to its original appearance.

Reference
HPC 1988-5