Back to Last Page Visited
Navigation Bar Skip Navigation City Council Contact Us Search City Government
Department Contact
Back to our Homepage

Designated Landmarks

Sullivan-Mahony House
326 Bross Street

Landmark Designation: 1986

Construction Date: 1892

Architectural Style: Italianate

Neil Carmichael Sullivan was a community builder, merchant and forceful leader of Longmont. Sullivan and his wife, Annie D. Sullivan moved to Longmont in 1891. In 1891, Sullivan bought a half-interest in George Dell's hardware store. He ran for mayor on the Anti-Saloon ticket in 1894, and was elected to serve two years to help eliminate the saloons along North Main Street. Sullivan's ire was raised by saloon patrons who left their horse tied, without food or water, for long hours in the blazing heat or freezing cold. He served as city treasurer in 1899, and was elected to the city council in 1903.

Sullivan was active in working to secure the sugar factory in Longmont by actively talking to local farmers to plant sugar beets and securing 1400 of the 4000 acres necessary to grow the beets.

After Sullivan sold his business in 1907, he served as director of the school board, water commissioner, and member of the Tiffany Hose volunteer firemen. He was a leader in the move to build the local sewer system and municipal power plant.

The Sullivan's had four children, Neil C. Jr., Martha Mack (Mattie), Herbert J. and Giles. Giles died in 1893 at the age of three. Martha Mack Sullivan was a teacher and taught at Central and Burlington schools. Herbert worked in the Golden Rules Stores and for the J.C. Penney Company. Herbert's wife, Della, was a Longmont piano teacher. She played the piano for the silent movies, and directed her own five-piece dance band for many years.

Virgina Sullivan Estes, daughter of Herbert and Della Sullivan, was the first city councilwoman in the City of Longmont and was a past chairman of the city's Historic Preservation Commission.

Winifred Mahony, daughter of Tom and Mattie Mahony, kept and loved the house for many years after her parent's deaths until she sold the property in 1984.

Reference
HPC 1986-2