542 Collyer Street
Landmark Designation: 2004
Construction Date: 1887 approximately
Architectural Style: Vernacular Masonery
This house served as the residence of George F. Davis until his death in 1911. George Frederick Davis was born in 1836, in West Suffield, Connecticut. At the age of 17, Davis moved to Indiana with an Uncle where he was seriously injured in an accident, resulting in a lung hemorrhage. In the ensuing years, Davis traveled extensively, seeking relief in different climates for his lung condition. He was married in Madison, Wisconsin, and subsequently traveled to Ohio and Illinois. In 1871, he joined with the Chicago Colorado Colony, arriving in the Longmont area in 1871. He established a farm about five miles northeast of Longmont which he operated until 1886 when he moved to town entering the grocery business. A short time later, Davis took up residency in this newly-built house at the corner of Collyer and 6th Avenue. Davis retired from the grocery business in 1888, and embarked on a career as a Longmont public official during the last two decades of his life. During the 1890s and early 1900s he served variously as Longmont's Road Supervisor, as a Justice of the Peace, and as Police Magistrate.
By circa 1920, the home had become the residence of William E. and Dora Price, who then owned and lived here for the next two decades. Will Price was born on his family's homestead northeast of Longmont around 1880. He graduated from the high school class in 1896, lettering in a variety of sports. Will and his wife, Dora, moved to Longmont in 1910s where Will began a long career working as a field superintendent for the Empson Packing Company. Mr. Price was also politically and socially active, particuarly in school affairs. He was elected to serve on the Longmont Board of School Directors between 1916 and 1923, and he was elected to serve on the Longmont City Council between 1897 and 1932. He then held the position of Longmont Water Superintendent between 1932 and 1948. Mr. Price died suddenly of a heart attack in February 1950.
If you would like to learn more about this property, please see our architectural survey that was completed on the property in 2003.