Friend Wright House
824 Collyer Street
Landmark Designation: 1989
Construction Date: 1905
Architectural Style: Dutch
Friend E. Wright Sr. came to Longmont with his brother John T. Wright in
1882. He and John moved to Noland in 1884 to work on the Stone Mountain Railroad
between Lyons and Noland. Friend was an engineer on the railroad, where he
operated the Shay engines, a type of engine particularly suited for operation
in Colorado's mountains.
Friend Wright Sr. returned to Longmont in 1886 and worked in the carpenters
trade. His wife, the former Rosa Florence Reavill, was president of the McPherson
Women's Relief Corps in 1904 and was active in the Capitol Hill Club, Entre
Nous, and the Methodist Church.