246 Main Street
Landmark Designation: 1997
Construction Date: 1907
Architectural Style: 20th
Built by Ralph A. Kitely and A. Adams, this brick building is on a lot originally
occupied by part of the Silver State Hotel which had been demolished in 1905
when the St. Vrain Block was constructed on the southeast corner of 3rd
Once known as the AKJ Building, the ground floor first housed the Adams &
Kitely Merchandise Company which had become the Kitely, Johnson & St.
Claire Hardware Co. by 1910. By 1916 the hardware business had moved to 314
Main and the AKJ Building housed an automobile sales room. The upper floors
became the Park Hotel while the ground floor has been continuously used for
commercial purposes, most recently as a tavern. Park Hotel has served as temporary,
emergency housing in recent years.