Lutes Drug Store
379 Main Street
Landmark Designation: 1983
Construction Date: ca. 1890
Architectural Style: 19th
The lot upon which the building was erected was part of the original purchase
made by the Trustees of the Chicago-Colorado Colony in 1871. In 1899, Charles
Kistler purchased the building from Emily Holbrook and established the Kistler
Drug Store. Mr. Kistler remained in the drug store business until 1908 when
he assumed the presidency of the Longmont National Bank until 1927. Mr. Kistler
was considered on of Longmont's leading citizens.
In 1908 Mr. Kistler sold the property to Harry F. Vyse, Rae H. and Ernest
Kiteley. Rae and Ernest Kiteley were grandsons of John Kiteley who served
on the Colony's Board of Trustees and was founder of the First National Bank.
Rae Kiteley was superintendent of Longmont's schools as well as mayor of Longmont
from 1911 to 1921. Ernest Kiteley owned a hardware store jointly with Harry
Vyse, who held much real estate at that time.
The Longmont Drug Store leased the building from 1908 to 1912. The Longmont
Drug Store was owned by Fred Chase Heverley, who was once an employee of Kistler
In 1913 Rae Kiteley sold his interest to his brother, Ernest, and Harry Vyse.
The pair operated the Kiteley & Vyse Clothing Store until 1917 when they
leased the building to J.C. Penney Company. This Penney store became the 169th
addition to the growing chain.
In 1919 the property was sold to Oscar J. Smith, however J.C. Penney Company
continued to lease the building.
In 1936, the property was sold to E.E. Lutes and the building became known
as the Lutes Drug Store and remained so until 1982. Mr. Lutes had purchased
the Gunning-Palmer Drug Store, which had been located at 400 Main Street,
in 1922. Mr. Lutes had been experienced in the pharmaceutical business, having
been a traveling salesman of pharmaceuticals prior to the purchase of the
In 1949, Mr. Lutes sold his interest in the drug store to Floyd Pettet and
Lansin Carmean. The new owners retained the Lutes name for business purposes.
In 1962, the deed to the property passed to Mr. Carmean who continued to run
the business until his retirement in 1982. Upon retirement, Mr. Carmean liquidated
his inventory, sold the store's fixtures, and sold the building and property.
Today the building operates as the City News, which offers books, magazines,
newspapers and tobacco.