Pike Road Barn
10376 Pike Road
Landmark Designation: 1997
Construction Date: 1898
Architectural Style: Barn
According to Boulder County Assessor's records, and the property's abstract,
this land was originally patented in December 1864 by Lorenzo Dwight. Adjacent
lands to the east became part of this farm, were patented in October 1864
by Porter R. Pennock. In 1886, Freeman Belcher acquired 200 acres including
the land where this barn is located. According to the Directory of Farmers
for Boulder County in 1892, Belcher was among the area's wealthiest landholders,
controlling nearly 400 acres in this area south of Longmont. In 1903, Belcher
transferred this property to Charles O. Andrew who built the barn. Sixteen
years later, in 1919, Andrew sold a sixty acre parcel where this barn is located
to Reverend Jacob Leonhard and his wife Lena. The Leonhard's raised their
family and farmed here. They raised sugar beets, barley, alfalfa, corn and
other crops. They also maintained a few head of milk cows are various times.
The Leonhard family continued to farm the property until 1953.
This property is generally significant for its association with the region's
agricultural development. Unfortunately, extensive alteration to the house
and garage have compromised the property's historic integrity. However, the
barn alone is viturally unchanged from its historic appearance and is among
Boulder County's better preserved examples of a gable-roofed single-wing barn.