D.C. Donovan House
347 Pratt Street
Landmark Designation: 1980
Construction Date: 1900
Architectural Style: Four
This home was built by Dennis Charles Donovan, who came to Colorado in 1881.
He moved to Longmont from Denver in 1882 and purchased the Thomas Butler lumber
yard, located on the corner of Coffman Street and Fourth Avenue. Later this
yard was moved to the 200 block of Main Street on the east side. In 1887,
Donovan and his two brothers, Timothy and John, established the D.C. Donovan
D.C. Donovan played an important part in Longmont's advancement. He was a
leading business man and was instrumental in securing a municipal light plant
and the Great Western Sugar Company. He served three terms as a Longmont Trustee
and was a member of the school board of School District No. 17 from 1902-1913.
He was president of the American National Bank and Director and Vice President
of the First National bank.
In addition to the lumber business, Donovan owned a small brick yard to the
south of what is now known as Spruce Street.