Old Allen House
924 2nd Avenue
Landmark Designation: 1978
Construction Date: 1870's
Architectural Style: Vernacular
Architect/builder is unknown, but it may have been W.J. Atwood an early day
hardware merchant who's trademark was the "inverted V", which is
visible over the upstairs window. It is known that the house was moved to
its present site in 1925 by the Elk's Lodge.
George Washington Allen was the son of Alonzo Nelson Allen and Mary Ann Harris
Dickens Allen, St. Vrain Valley pioneers. As a young boy, George worked around
the well-known stage stop in old Burlington operated by his mother, Mary.
He took care of may chores since his father was away for long periods of time
prospecting with his step-brother, W.H.
Dickens. Cattleman, stage driver, freighter and livery stable owner, Allen
prospered and built a new home at 703
3rd Avenue with his "Red Barn Livery" located at 635 Third
Vernette S. Allen, George and Mary's eldest son, became the second generation
to work around the livery stable. By 1916, the business was called "Allen
Livery and Transfer" with up to date livery, heavy hauling and excavating;
in addition to providing sand and gravel. Vernette was involved in several
other businesses from an early-day garage and filling station to being an
agent for Gorham Coal.
The Allen House is a significant part of Longmont's history, first, because
five generations of the Allen family have contributed to the growth and development
of the area since 1859; second, because the architectural style represents
the early buildings of the town, and it is significant to have survived periods
of demolition in the area.