Back to Last Page Visited
Navigation Bar Skip Navigation City Council Contact Us Search City Government
Department Contact
Back to our Homepage

Designated Landmarks

Ludlow House
812 3rd Avenue

Landmark Designation: 1995

Construction Date: 1917

Architectural Style: Craftsman

Julius Ludlow along with his sons, Earl and Ovid, first operated a dairy in Denver. After Earl and Ovid's mothers death in 1905, the business sold and the boys founded the Ludlow Packing Company in Berthoud. The brothers divided their holdings in 1908. Ovid retained the Berthoud Plant and Earl purchased a ranch at Rattlesnake Park north of Lyons. On April 1, 1917, Earl married Imo Davis in Omaha, Nebraska. They built the home at 812 3rd Avenue in that same year.

Mr. Ludlow was elected in 1925 to the city council as Alderman from the Third Ward and was reelected in 1927. In 1929 he ran for mayor, was elected and served the two-year term. It has been said that "Earl Ludlow was exceptionally active in the development of Longmont and that he was one of the most prominent livestock men in northern Colorado.

Not to be out done by her husband, Mrs. Ludlow, along with two partners, Sidney L. Davis and Nettie Pollack, became owners of the Sig's Service Station and Higley Studios which they ran for many years.

Earl and Imo's son, Irving, was attending the University of Colorado when he quit classes in 1938 to take over the cattle company on the death of his father. During his life in Longmont, Irving was a director of the Longmont National Bank and conducted ranching operations in Colorado, Wyoming and Wisconsin.

Reference
HPC 1995-4