1005 3rd Avenue
Landmark Designation: 1995
Construction Date: 1909
Architectural Style: Four
Charles Kistler moved to Longmont in 1891, Savanna Missouri. He was a graduate
of the University of Kansas, Missouri and held a degree in Pharmacy. In 1891
he established a drug store at 4th and Main.
In 1893, Charles married Grace Denio, daughter of the J.W.
Deinos, proprietors of the Longmont Mills. Mr. Kisler was involved in
the Longmont National Bank for 16 years. He first served as a cashier and
later as the bank manager.
Gunning was the son of Charles A. Gunning and grandson of Albert Henry
Gunning. Albert H. came from Wisconsin with wife Etta in 1891. Albert H. farmed
160 acres west of Longmont. A large "clay" deposit was found on
Gunnings farm by a chemist and persuaded Gunning to sell 40 acres of his farm
to build a brick factory. Charles A. was a graduate from Longmont Academy.
He graduated from Northwestern University and became a pharmacist. He bought
a store (McDonald Store) with Charles Palmer and ran the business until 1918.
He later traded interest in the Brick Company for the store. Albert C. Gunning
and his wife, Marian, continued in the family business that now includes two
factories, a modern block plant in Boulder and a sales office in Denver.