Back to Last Page Visited
Navigation Bar Skip Navigation City Council Contact Us Search City Government
Department Contact
Back to our Homepage

Designated Landmarks

F.J. Miller/Lou Allen House
1236 3rd Avenue

Landmark Designation: 1987

Construction Date: 1905

Architectural Style: Four Square

Frank J. Miller came to Longmont in the 1890's and began working for his father, Giles Miller as a carpenter. Later in his career, he was engaged in the real estate business. Frank was elected in 1899 as Longmont's mayor serving one term; he was known as the prohibition mayor.

Lon C. Allen was grandson of Alonzo N. Allen, the main credited with establishing the site of Burlington, Colorado, the town which preceded the present City of Longmont. In 1871, the Allens joined the Chicago-Colorado Colony and operated an inn on the corner now occupied by the Imperial Hotel. In 1887, the job of running the hotel was passed to Alonzo's son Charles and his wife Margaret. Charles and Margaret purchased the Zweck Hotel as known as the Imperial Hotel, later run by their son and his wife, Lon and Katherine. The Allen family were respected innkeepers in the St. Vrain Valley for more than 75 years.

Lon Allen was devoted to the civic interests of Longmont and served the City in a variety of capacities from City Council to the Zoning Board of Adjustment and Appeals. Allen was also responsible for helping to establish Longmont's first chapters of the Red Cross, Masons, Elks and the Legion.

Reference
HPC 1987-3