1237 3rd Avenue
Landmark Designation: 1986
Construction Date: 1906
Architectural Style: Four
In 1905 Ellen VanZant purchased the property and began construction of their
home in the fall of that year. Ellen VanZant's husband, Ellis H. VanZant,
came to Longmont in 1897 to become secretary-treasurer of his uncle's firm,
J.H. Empson and Daughter Canning Company. In the early 1900's he also was
name sales director. In 1920 he succeeded the late J.H. Empson as president
of the Empson Canning Company. In the spring of 1927 he was instrumental in
bringing about the merger of Kuner Pickles and Empson Canning Company to become
The VanZant family did not live in the house long and over the next several
years the property changed hands many times.
In 1944, Noland R. and Mamie L. Fry became owners of the house. Noland and
Mamie came to Longmont and bought a rooming house above the J.C. Penning Co.
store and operated Fry's Rooms for nine years. In 1930 he was appointed secretary
of the Longmont Credit Association witch he later acquired and continued to
operate in partnership with Lydia Kisler until 1972.
Mr. Fry continued his partnership with Lydia Kisler in Fry's Mimeo Shop.
He was a noted commercial artist and became nationally known for his pen and
ink illustrations. He was often called upon by archeologists to illustrate
their findings and books on Native American artifacts.
Mr. Fry's proudest contribution to the City of Longmont was the Indian artifact
collection he donated to the Longmont Pioneer Museum. The museum honored him
in 1979 by naming the collection: The Noland R. Fry Gallery of Native American