Back to Last Page Visited
Navigation Bar Skip Navigation City Council Contact Us Search City Government
Department Contact
Back to our Homepage

Stormwater Construction Activity Permit

Stormwater Discharges from Construction Sites

All construction activities must use stormwater pollution control measures and Best Management Practices (BMPs) to prevent pollutants from entering the Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4). Even if the work does not require a permit, all pollution sources must be controlled by BMPs and all federal, state, and local regulations must be complied with. A Stormwater Construction Activity Permit (SCAP) is required for activity that disturbs one or more acres. In addition, a SCAP is required if the City determines that the construction activity could have a detrimental effect on public health or the environment. Residential individual lot construction that is less than one acre is covered under the Building Permit process.

Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE) Permit

A permit from the CDPHE may be required; in this case a Stormwater Management Plan (SWMP) must be completed. Allow at least 10 business days to acquire a permit from the CDPHE. For more information visit or call (303) 692-3500.


City of Longmont Permit

Permit Terms and Conditions

Obtaining a Stormwater Discharge Permit

Maintaining a Stormwater Discharge Permit

De-activating a Stormwater Discharge Permit



Stormwater Quality Program

1100 S. Sherman

Longmont, CO 80501

Phone: (303) 651-8376

or email:



Terms and Conditions of Construction Activity Permit associated with Stormwater (coming soon)

Permit Flowchart* (16 KB pdf)

SCAP Process Flow Chart (50 KB pdf)

Permit Terms and Conditions* (66 KB pdf)

Permit Application- New, Renewal, or Modification* (66 KB pdf)
Permit Application- Transfer* (151 KB pdf)

Permit Application- Expiration* (80 KB pdf)

Permit Application- Notice of Termination (NOT)* (91 KB pdf)

SPC Construction Drawing Review Checklist* (45 KB pdf)

Site Inspection Checklist* (32 KB pdf)

Prohibitions and Exemptions for Discharges
Stormwater Quality Program

Permanent Stormwater Control (PSC) Permit

*Can't download a PDF file? More information available for Acrobat Reader.

Stormwater Construction Activity Permit Terms and Conditions

The Terms and Conditions of the Construction Activity Permit details the City of Longmont requirements for discharging stormwater from construction sites. Essentially, all pollution sources must be controlled through the use of approved BMPs, a 24-hr contact must manage and inspect the site and a Stormwater Pollution Control Site Map must be kept up-to-date and on-site.

There may be other federal, state or local permits required and it is your responsibility to obtain all necessary permits.

Back to top.

Obtaining Stormwater Construction Permits - City of Longmont

This section describes the process for obtaining a City of Longmont Stormwater Construction Activity Permit, remember that there may be other federal, state or local permits required and it is your responsibility to obtain all necessary permits. To obtain a SCAP you need to submit an application, submit Stormwater Pollution Control Constuction Drawings for review and pay fees.

No work that disturbs land can begin until the permit has been issued!


The Owner/Operator must complete and submit the application form and SPC Construction Drawings. Allow at least 10 business days for permit issuance. If the SPC Construction Drawings were submitted and approved during the development review process, a copy of the approved drawings can be submitted with the application form. Permit issuance will be expedited if the SPC Construction Drawings have been pre-approved. Additional information may be required for site specific circumstances. The application and SPC Construction Drawing Review Checklist are available on-line.


Fees must be paid before the permit will be issued and may be paid at any time. The stormwater portion of a new permit is $1,300. For more information on fees, please refer to the Fees section.


Owner/Operator/Applicant and the Construction Supervisor and Foreman will attend a Pre-Construction Meeting with City staff. Stormwater compliance, expectations, and site specific circumstances will be discussed. Remember absolutely no work that disturbs land can begin until the permit has been issued.


EPA has developed an easy-to-read reference explaining the basic principles of developing and maintaining an effective stormwater pollution prevention plan (SWPPP) and can be used at most construction sites in any state, territory or in Indian country. A customizable SWPPP Template, an Inspection Template, two "model or example" SWPPPs, and other stormwater resources are also available. See and the Construction Center at Printed copies of the guide are available from EPA's National Service Center for Environmental Publications, 1-800-490-9198, (document number EPA-833-R-06-004).

If there are jurisdictional wetlands present on site or if you are not sure, contact a regulatory speacialist with the Regional Office of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers:

U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
(303) 979-4120
FAX (303) 979-0602

Back to top.


Maintaining the Construction Activity Permit

It is the permittee’s responsibility to comply with all applicable federal, state, and local stormwater and water quality regulations and requirements. This section reviews the requirements for the City of Longmont’s permit requirements and does not necessarily include all applicable regulations or requirements.


All pollution sources on the site must be controlled by BMPs and all BMPs must be appropriate for the pollutions source and installed and maintained in a manner to insure that they function properly for the duration of their use. The City may require BMPs to be installed, modified, maintained, relocated or removed in order to prevent pollutants from discharging to the MS4. In this case the owner or operator shall make the necessary modifications to the BMPs immediately.

All BMP deficiencies must be corrected immediately!!!


The SPC Construction Drawings (site plan) must be kept up-to-date and onsite during active construction. Copies of the current Drawings shall be available upon request.


City staff performs oversight inspections to ensure that the site is controlled and incompliance with the SCAP. An example of the City's Site Inspection (BMP) Checklist is available on line.

Note that the CDPHE permit requires self-inspections every 14 days and after any significant rainfall or snowmelt.


At least 10 days prior to the expiration date, the Permittee must submit an application and SPC Construction Drawings for permit renewal. Depending on how long it has been since the last SPC Construction Drawing review or site specific circumstances, the Drawings may be reviewed during permit renewal. All pending fees and penalties must be paid and applicable renewal fees apply.


At any time, if any of the information requested on the permit application changes, you must submit an updated application form. Only the information that has changed shall be included on the updated form. SPC Construction Drawing submittal and review will only take place if there is a modification to the Drawings. If the SPC Construction Drawing is reviewed then the review fee applies.


As soon as possible but no later than 7 days of becoming aware of change in owner or permittee, you must submit a Notice of Notice of Transfer application application. Please note that change in contact name is not the same as change in permittee or owner; contact name or associated information change would be covered under a permit modification. However, if the permitted company or owner changes then it is a permit transfer. If both parties cannot or will not sign the form, a reassignment can be processed. Applicable fees will charged to the new permittee and will depend on the circumstances. Applicable pending fees or balances will still apply to the original permittee.

Back to top.


Deactivating or Terminating the Construction Activity Permit

When the project is completed, the Permittee must submit the Notice of Termination (NOT) to deactivate the permit. The termination requirements for obtaining a Permanent Stormwater Control Permit, final stabilization, removal of temporary BMPs and payment of pending fees/penalties are described below.

Permanent Stormwater Control Permit Approval

The first step to closing your SCAP permit is to obtaining a Permanent Stormwater Control (PSC) Permit. A NOT will not be issued until all permanent stormwater pollution control features on the site have been installed and permitted. An information sheet, flow chart, and other pertinent information on the permanent stormwater program are available on the City’s PSC page.


Final stabilization is achieved when all ground surface disturbing activities have been completed and uniform vegetative cover has been established with an individual plant density of at least 70% of pre-disturbance levels, or equivalent permanent, physical erosion reductions methods have been employed. For purposes of permit termination, the City of Longmont determines if final stabilization has been achieved.


After final stabilization has been achieved, all temporary BMPs must be removed before the permit will be terminated. Confirmation of temporary BMP removal is made during the final City inspection.


All pending fees and penalties must be paid in order to terminate your permit. These fees may have come from permit renewal, modification, transfers, re-inspections, site plan review, or enforcement actions. For more information about fees, please refer to the Fees section or call the project manager or development engineer.



The fees associated with Stormwater Construction Activity Permit include SPC Construction Drawing review, inspections, and re-inspections. Each of these is described below. The cost for a new SCAP permit is $1,300. Costs may vary for renewal, modification, or transfer. If you have any questions, please contact the Environmental Services Engineer.


The fee for each SPC Construction Drawing review is $300. The SPC Construction Drawing is reviewed when the permit is issued. Depending on the situation and progress it may be reviewed at permit renewal, transfer, or modification. If there are major changes to the SPC Construction Drawing, the City may require you to submit a modification which would trigger a review.


The City inspectors perform oversight inspections on construction sites. These inspections do not count as inspections for CDPHE or other permits. City inspections are $1000 per permit term (not to exceed 2 yrs). Inspection fees will be processed during permit issuance and renewals. Transferring a permit will also transfer the remaining inspections left before expiration.


If at any time the City Inspector determines that the site is out of compliance, a re-inspection will be scheduled. Each re-inspection costs $100 and must be paid before renewal, transfer, modification, or termination of a permit will be processed.

Back to top.

Stormwater Program|Water Utilities|Public Works & Natural Resources|City of Longmont

This page was updated July 23, 2014
City of Longmont Public Works & Natural Resources Department
Environmental Services Division
Stormwater Quality Program