Back to Last Page Visited
Navigation Bar Skip Navigation City Council Contact Us Search City Government
Department Contact
Back to our Homepage


Tips for Preventing Sewer Problems


Utility Operations (303) 651-8468

7 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday

Police Dispatch (303) 651-8501

after hours, weekends and holidays

When you call one of the emergency numbers, please be prepared to provide the following information:

  • The problem (sewer odor, sewer backing up, slow running drains, etc.)
  • Name
  • Address
  • Phone number


General Information

The sewer service is owned and maintained by the property owner. Sewer service is defined as the length of the pipe between the house/business and the sewer main, usually in the street, easement or alley.

picture of service line

Clogged Sewers

Household Hazardous Wastes Disposal



Boulder County Household Hazardous Waste

PWNR Solid Waste Division


Utility Operations

375 Airport Road

Longmont, CO 80501

(303) 651-8627


Clogged Sewer Lines

If your sewer does back up, please call the City of Longmont Water Utilities at the numbers listed above under "emergency numbers". Plugged sewer lines are most frequently caused by roots, grease accumulation or structural problems.

Business Owners: Check your grease interceptors/traps and sand traps. Make sure they are cleaned on a regular basis and records are kept.

Sewage back up: If sewage backs up into your basement or crawl space only when you run water in your house/business, the problem is most likely to be in your system and you may need to call a plumber to repair it. The homeowner is responsible for clean up or repair, including repairing damage to the street or driveway if necessary.

If sewage is running into your house/business and you haven't been running water, call the Utility Operations emergency number immediately. The City of Longmont will send a crew out to investigate the problem and clean the main, if plugged. If a problem is found in our main, causing damage to your property, a claim should be sent through the City's Risk Management Office at (303) 651-8435.

Your plumbing system: It is a good idea for all property owners and tenants to become familiar with the general layout of your plumbing system - especially the location of your sewer "clean out" outlet. The outlet cover is usually located in the yard and allows easy access to the more distant stretches of the private sewer line so blockages may be removed. A plumber can help locate sewer cleanouts, if you have any.

Preventing clogs: Residents can aid in preventing clogged sewer lines by not putting grease and greasy food scraps down the sink or garbage disposal. Grease and meat drippings should be collected in a disposal container and thrown into the trash. Any other greasy leftovers (bones, meat trimmings, etc.) should be thrown into the trash. FREE Fat Trappers are available.

Other household and business wastes: Do not dispose of these wastes into the sanitary or storm drainage system:

Motor oil
Paint thinner and other solvents
Oil-based paints (in any quantity, including clean-up waste)
Latex-based paints

Pesticides, Herbicides
Pharmaceuticals or Over the Counter Medication

Wastewater Treatment Plant|Utility Operations|Water Utilities|Public Works & Natural Resources|City of Longmont
This site was updated August 16, 2013
City of Longmont Public Works & Natural Resources
Utility Operations